Cowboy Musing: An Irish Blessing

Thursday, March 18, 2010


Since it’s St Patrick’s Day and a lot of people know that I’m a 5th generation Irish storyteller and a 4th generation Texas Bull Shipper (you notice how carefully I said that word) that it might be appropriate to say a few words.

My Irish heritage goes back further than 5 generations, that’s just as far as I can document the storytellers in the line, although I suspect they all are. my great-grandmother was an O’Green from Cork County, although they dropped the O on the boat on the way over and it just became Green. I know her daddy could spin a wee tale, so that makes five for sure.

On St Pats day everyone wants to be Irish. I was at a conference in San Antonio when it rolled around a couple of years ago and everyone in the place was trying to be Irish to the core. When they found out I was the real deal I became something of a celebrity. Given my size they speculated that I might actually be a leprecauhn disguised in a ten gallon hat. Someone pointed out that leprecauhns were very little men but someone else quickly pointed out “not in Texas.”


source:vx50.com




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails